It is World Breastfeeding Week. The entire world is propagating on how to make the little one latch on, how to nurse your child, and how important it is for the child and mother to breastfeed the child.
This blog comes as a shock to you. Isn’t it? Well, it should not. If you breastfeed your child, stop right away! You may be doing more harm than good, if not to your child then to the society at large.
How and why? Ifs and buts? I have my own reasons to support what I am saying. Here are few points which prove the truth in my statement!
1. Loss for bankers: It’s fairly simple. With lesser money to spend on formula feeding, sterilizers, and doctor visits, there will be more money lying in the bank. Hence, the bank will have to pay interest on the money lying unused in your bank account.
2. Loss for Pediatricians – If you choose to breastfeed your child, there will be a great financial loss for the pediatricians. Breastfeeding provides essential nutrition. Among its other known health benefits are some protection against common childhood infections and better survival during a baby’s first year, including a lower risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). Research also shows that very early skin-to-skin contact and suckling may have physical and emotional benefits. Other studies also suggest that breastfeeding may reduce the risk for certain allergic diseases, asthma, obesity, and type 2 diabetes. It also may help improve an infant’s cognitive development. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.
3. Loss for Pharmacists – Obviously, when the immunity of the child increases, there is a lesser need to visit the pharmacist to buy medicines. It is a huge financial loss for the pharmacist, isn’t it?
4. Loss for companies selling formula– Let’s admit, formula feeding is the only reliable alternate to breastfeeding, unless you find out a breast milk bank, which is rare. Formula feeding comes with an additional cost. Buying formula, bottles, sterilizer, and insulated bottle holders, to name a few. Also, if proper hygiene is not maintained, it can act as a perfect source of infection. It is also bad for the child’s growing teeth. Unless there is a medical reason not to breastfeed the child, avoid buying formula. Formula milk also lacks certain essential nutrients, which breast milk provides. Hence, breastfeeding results in a major loss for the companies selling expensive formula.
5. Loss for Fitness centers & Gyms – This is for real. Breastfeeding burns more calories & helps a mommy regain her old self soon. Of course, diet has a major role in helping a mother get back to her pre-pregnancy weight, although there is no hurry. Nevertheless, it leads to a loss for fitness centers/gyms if weight loss was your only agenda behind joining the gym.
6. Loss for Gynecologist – Breastfeeding for as long as you can can lead to lesser trips to the gynecologist from day one. Breastfeeding your child has both short & long term health benefits for you. Initially, when you breastfeed, you can feel contractions in your uterus, it is due to the release of the hormone oxytocin, which helps the uterus to get back to its original pre-pregnancy size. It also provides long-term benefits like protection from breast & ovarian cancer. These are a few benefits amongst the huge number of ailments breastfeeding provides. It also leads to a greater bonding with the child and a happier mommy! But on a lighter note, isn’t it a loss for the gynecologist?
Dear new moms,
By now you must have realized the motive behind the title of the blog. Of course, breastfeeding is the best thing you can give yourself & your child.
-The initial few days are harsh on the mommy. Lets admit, latching early on is a pain for the mommy and the child. To top it all, the visitors in the hospital, the pain the new mom is going through make things worst.
However, this is the most beautiful way to bond with your baby and give them good health.
-Even if the mother is working, it lessens her guilt if she leaves behind pumped breast milk for her little one. There are a variety of breast pumps, both manual & electric available in the market. Buy the one which suits your requirements & budget.
-This blog is highlighting the benefits of breastfeeding on a lighter note. The aim of this blog is NOT to demean any medical professional or mother who does not or cannot breastfeed. Please do not take it otherwise.
-Even if you cannot breastfeed, you can choose a formula which is next best alternate. Avoid cow’s milk as it is heavy on the child’s immunity.
-Prepare yourself mentally & learn about breastfeeding right from when you enter your last trimester. Educate yourself, watch videos, and talk to your doctor if you wish to breastfeed your child immediately after birth. Doctors these days co operate as much as they can when it comes to breastfeeding.
-The first few days are even more critical for a new mom. Pre-milk is rightly called liquid gold & helps the child develop immunity.
-Talk to your partner/ caregiver about your expectations after delivery. Ensure you get enough time to rest, recover, & breastfeed. Tell them if you are fine with having a lot of visitors or would prefer your privacy. Nothing is more important than your comfort during these days.
-Breast milk increases as much as the child suckles. Initially, the frequency will be high, gradually with patience & practice you will perfect it soon!
To breastfeed or not to breastfeed depends on many other medical factors too. Do not feel guilty if you are not able to breastfeed your child. You will still be the perfect mom to your child!
Even if you are not a nursing mom, stand by one. You could make a difference!
Share your views about this blog in the comment section. Click on ‘FOLLOW’ to keep reading my blogs!